Associate Prof. KURTUL GULENC
Department of Philosophy
Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, İstanbul, TURKEY
- Department of Philosophy, Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, İstanbul, Turkey (2015-)
- Department of Philosophy, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey (2011-2015)
- Vice Dean of the Faculty of Letters, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey (2012-2013)
- Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, Maltepe University, Istanbul, Turkey (2004-2010)
- Bileşim AŞ. (2002-2004)
- Yapı Kredi AŞ. (1998)
Courses offered at the undergraduate and graduate level in the last two years:
Philosophy of Science, Introduction to Philosophy, Philosophy in Cinema, Ethics, Ethics and Professional Values, Philosophy in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, History of Science and Philosophy, Frankfurt School, Modernism, Problem of Freedom, Problems of Philosophy of Science.
Fields of Research:
Philosophy of Social Sciences, Philosophy and Literature, Social and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Enlightenment, Critical Theory, Hermeneutics, Ethics, Philosophy for Children.
Bogazici University – Istanbul (Honour)
|M.A.||Philosophy|| Bogazici University – Istanbul
|Ph.D.||Philosophy||Hacettepe University – Ankara
|Istanbul University||2013, October|
MA Thesis Title and Supervisor(s):
Thesis Title: The Concept of Responsibility in Greek Tragedy and Aristotle
Supervisors: Lecturer Zeynep Davran and Prof. Dr. Gürol Irzık, Bogazici University
PhD Dissertation Title and Supervisor(s):
Dissertation Title: Critique, Society and Science: An Examination on Frankfurt School
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. A. Kurtuluş Dinçer, Hacettepe University
- K. Gulenc, O. Kulak, Marx’ın Halleri (States of Marx), Istanbul, Kalkedon Yayinlari (Kalkedon Publishing), 2012.
- K. Gulenc & A. Tuncel (ed.), Siyaset Felsefesi Tarihi I-II (History of Political Philosophy I-II), Ankara: Dogu Bati Yayinlari (Dogu Bati Publishing), 2013. (Forthcoming Book)
- K. Gulenc, Ben Kimim? (Who am I?), Istanbul, Mandolin Yayinlari (Mandolin Publishing), 2013.
- K. Gulenc, Sevgi nedir? (What is Love?), Istanbul, Mandolin Yayinlari (Mandolin Publishing), 2013.
- K. Gulenc, Doğru ve Yanlış (True and False), Istanbul, Mandolin Yayinlari (Mandolin Publishing), 2013.
- K. Gulenc, Mutluluk nedir? (What is Happiness?), Istanbul, Mandolin Yayinlari (Mandolin Publishing), 2013.
- K. Gulenc, Özgürlük Nedir? (What is Freedom?), Istanbul, Mandolin Yayinlari (Mandolin Publishing), 2013.
- K. Gulenc, Frankfurt Okulu (Frankfurt School), Istanbul, Ayrinti Yayinlari, (Ayrinti Publishing), 2015.
- K. Gulenc, “Polemikçi Bir Gelenek Olarak Felsefe: Eleştiri Kültürüne Açılan Bir Pencere, (Philosophy as a Polemical Tradition: A Window to the Critical Culture)”, Kimin İçin Felsefe? (Philosophy for Who(m)?), Betul Cotuksoken-Sevgi Iyi (ed.), İstanbul: Heyamola Yayınları (Heyamola Publishing), 2006, ss. 59-75.
- K. Gulenc, “Is Putnam’s ‘Internal Realism’ really Realism?”, Fen Edebiyat Fakültesi Dergisi (Journal of Science and Letters Faculty), Maltepe University, No: 2004/2, pp. 33-50. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, “Pre-Sokratiklerden Platon’a Mitos, Logos ve Dialektik” (Mythos, Logos and Dialectic from Pre-Socratic Philosophers to Plato), Felsefelogos (Journal of Felsefelogos), No: 35-36, 2008, pp. 33-50. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, “Post-Marksizm, Radikal Demokrasi ve Eleştirileri” (Post-Marxism, Radical Democracy and Criticisms), Yeditepe’de Felsefe (Journal of Philosophy at Yeditepe), no: 9, 2010, pp. 138-188. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, “Bilim, Düşünme ve Varlık: Heidegger’de Fenomenolojik Hermeneutik” (Science, Thinking and Being: Phenomenological Hermeneutic in Heidegger), Journal of Cogito, no: 64, 2010, pp. 280-299.
- K. Gulenc, “Tarih, Ütopya ve Politika” (History, Utopia and Politics), Baykuş (Journal of Baykus), no: 7, July 2011, pp. 144-154. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, O. Kulak, “Walter Benjamin’de Tarih ve Ütopya” (History and Utopia in Walter Benjamin), Yeditepe’de Felsefe (Journal of Philosophy at Yeditepe), no: 10, 2011, pp. 68-119. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, “Eleştirel Kuram ve Yaşam Felsefesi” (Critical Theory and Philosophy of Life), Demokrasi Platformu (Journal of Platform of Democracy), 2011, no: 26, pp. 67-87.
- K. Gulenc, “Küreselleşme, Postmodernizm ve Siyasal İslam” (Globalization, Postmodernism and Political Islam), Kaygı (Journal of Kaygi), no: 17, September 2011, pp. 121-136. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index, Asos Index, Index Copernicus, Index Islamicus, MLA International Bibliography)
- K. Gulenc, “Sosyal Bilimlerin Geleceği Üzerine Yeniden Düşünmek” (Rethinking the Future of Social Sciences), Felsefe Dünyası (Journal of Philosophical World), no: 55, 2012, pp. 145-163. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, Nihal Petek Boyaci, “Eski Yunan’dan Petrus Abelardus’a İnsan Eylemi” (Human Action from Ancient Greek to Petrus Abelard), Felsefe Dünyası (Journal of Philosophical World), no: 57, 2013/1, pp. 132-155. (This journal is listed in Philosopher’s Index)
- K. Gulenc, “Etik Sübjektivizmin Felsefi Temelleri Üzerine Bir Soruşturma” (An Inquiry on the Philosophical Foundations of Ethical Subjectivism), Ethos, no: 7 (1), 2014/1, pp. 28-54.
– Philosophy Conversations V, Political Philosophy, “Enlightenment as a Myth: A Negative View on Dialectic of Reason”, Maltepe University, Istanbul, April 2005.
– Southeast European Seminar in Early Modern Philosophy, “Kantian Conditions for Human Freedom”, Boğazici University, Istanbul, 11 August 2005.
– Philosphy Society of Turkey, Istanbul Seminars, Medieval Philosophy, “’Human Action’ from Aristotle to Abelard”, Maltepe University, Istanbul, 11-12 November 2005.
– Human Sciences and Philosophy Symposium, “Ethical Values”, Maltepe University, Istanbul, 2-3 June 2006.
– “Philosophy in Turkey”, Erasmus Academic Staff Exchange Program, Saarland University, Department of Philosophy, Saarland/Saarbrücken, Germany, 30 June-07 July 2006.
– II. National Applied Ethics Congress, ‘The place of CSO’s as an Experience of Democracy in the Relationship between Ethics and Politics’, Middle East Technical Univeristy, Ankara, 18–20 October 2006.
– TÜYAP Book Exposition, “Philosophy in Turkey”, Istanbul, 5 November 2006.
– Caddebostan Culture Center, “’Philosophy for Who?’ and ‘What is Philosophy’ in celebration of World Philosophy Day”, Istanbul, 12 November 2006.
– Philosophy Conversations VII, Philosophical Anthropology, “Marx and Human Nature”, Istanbul, Kadikoy, 21 April 2007.
– V. International Philosophy Days, Violence Symposium, “Enlightenment, Reason and Violence”, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, 10-12 May 2007.
– “The Tradition of Philosophical Anthropology in Turkey”, Erasmus Academic Staff Exchange Program, Aachen University, Department of Philosophy, Germany, 14-21 June 2007.
– Philosophy Conversations VIII, Philosophy of Knowledge and Science, “Science and Ideology in Marx”, Istanbul, Maltepe University, 19 April 2008.
– Nietzsche and our Era Symposium, “Confrontation with Nietzsche”, Hacettepe University, Ankara, 7 May 2008.
– “Ethics and Applied Ethics”, Erasmus Academic Staff Exchange Program, St. Kliement Ohridski University, Department of Philosophy, Sofia/Bulgaria, 20-23 May 2008.
– Philosophical and Sociological views on Law IV, “A Study on Benjamin’s Critique of the ‘Ghostly’ Union of Law and Violence”, Istanbul, 27 August 2008.
– Karaburun Science Congress, “Space, Hegemony and Strategy in the Context of Authoritarianism-Liberalism Tension”, Karaburun-Izmir, 5 September 2008 (With Ferit Serkan Öngel).
– Philospohy Society of Turkey, Istanbul Seminars, Philosophy in the 19th and 20th Centuries, “Reason and Science in Max Horkheimer”, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, 28 November 2008.
– Uludağ Philosophical Conversations: Philosophy in the 21st Century, “Re-thinking on the Relationships among Science, Reason and Society in the 21st Century”, Bursa, Uludag University, 23 December 2008.
– Philosophy Conversations IX, Ontology, “Gadamer and Philosophical Hermeneutics”, Istanbul, Maltepe University, 9 May 2009.
– Philosophy Departement Conferences, “Two Concepts of Liberty: Restrictions and Possibilities”, Istanbul, Yeditepe University, 18 November 2009.
– Philosophy Days, “Examining Science from a Philosophical Perspective”, Corum, Hitit University, 26 March 2010.
– Philosophy Conversations X, Philosophy of History, “History, Violence and Politics”, Istanbul, Maltepe University, 10 April 2010.
– Philosophical Meetings, “Re-thinking on the Relationship between Science and Society in the 21st Century”, Mersin University, Philosophy Department, 12 April 2010.
– Symposium on Justice, “Crime, Punishment and Justice from Greek Tragedy to Philosophy”, Istanbul University, 29-30 April 2010.
– Philosophy Conversations XI, Philosophy of Language, “Language and Art in Adorno”, Istanbul, Maltepe Üniversity, 14 May 2011.
– Ilgaz Philosophy Days, “Enlightenment, History and Politics”, Cankiri, 13-15 October 2011.
– Philosophy Conversations XII, Philosophy of Art, “Art and Theory in A Magic-lost World”, Istanbul, Maltepe University, 14 April 2012.
–Philosophy for Children, “Philosophy and Children”, Izmir-Alsancak, 26 April 2012.
– Izmir Philosophy Days II, Enlightenmet and Religion, “Religion, Ideology and Critique in Marx”, Izmir-Alsancak, 10 May 2012.
– Philosophy for Children, “What is Freedom?”, Izmir-Alsancak, 14 March, 18 April, 2 May 2013.
– 3. Antalya Philosophy Days, “Truth: Discovery or Innovation?”, Antalya, 24 May, 2013.
– June Meetings IV, Problems of Contemporary Philosophy, “Herbert Marcuse: Affirmative Character of Culture”, Sirince-Izmir, 07-08 June 2013.
– 23rd World Philosophy Congress, “An Essay on the Possibility of a New Conception of History”, Athens-Greece, 04 August 2013.
– 3rd Hasan Unal Nalbantoglu Syposium – City, Sphere, Politics, “An Inquiry on the Criticism of Technological Rationality of Herbert Marcuse”, METU, Ankara, March 2014.
– Mimar Sinan Philosophy Days, Symposium on “An Excursion From Philosophy to Politics”, “The Problem of the Subject of Rebel: Parallel Intersections”, Mimar Sinan University, Istanbul, April 2014.